By: Mayen Etim
KADUNA, North-West, Nigeria – A retired Army officer, Major Mohammed Isah Tafoki, has called on the authorities of the Nigerian Army, (NA), to released the corpse of his slain nephew, Akilu Tafoki, who was allegedly shot and killed by soldiers from 1Division Garrison on stop and search operation along the Kaduna – Abuja Expressway.
He made the call during a press briefing at the Nigeria Union of Journalists, (NUJ), Kaduna Council Secretariat on Monday.
He explained that on January 6, 2019, a member of the family called to informed him that there was a casualty as his nephew, Akilu Tafoki, just died of gun shot wounds.
According to him, they were on their way to Abuja in the company of four motorcycles, each carrying a passenger. And as they approach Sabon Gaya along the Abuja Expressway, they bumped into a roadblock mounted by soldiers who were later identified as personnel of 1Division Garrison.
Major Tafoki further explained that without any word of cautioned, the soldiers were alleged to have opened fire on the cyclists, and in the process late Akilu who was a passenger on one of the motorcycles was hit and he fell down.
“I was informed that my late nephew was taken to a filing station and left in his pool of blood where he gave up the ghost.
“Immediately I received the message, I drove down to the roadblock, but the soldiers kept mute even after I identified myself as a retired Major.
“This prompted me to drive down to the 1 Division Garrison in Kaduna to formerly lay a complaint where a senior officer told me to come back the next day with an eyewitness, with a promise that the boys on roadblock on the said day would be recalled back to the office for identification.
“Surprisingly the senior military officer said my nephew was not killed by any of his men and the corpse is not with them. Even though they accepted earlier on that his body was deposited at the New Wuse General Hospital,” he narrated.
Major Tafoki passionately pleaded with President Muhammadu Buhari and the Chief of Army Staff, (COAS), General Tukur Buratai to intervene in the matter and ensure that the corpse is released to the family for a befitting burial.
Meanwhile, all efforts to get the NA reaction was not successful as the Assistant Director, Public Relations of 1 Division, Colonel Mohammed Adole, promised to call back. However, as at the time of filing this report there has not been any response from him.